For some time now, the Committee on the Administration of Justice (CAJ) has been aware of concerns within the Irish speaking community in Northern Ireland about the priority and support given to the Irish language by the United Kingdom government.
Complaints concern, among other things:
- the question of funding for Irish-language-medium-education;
- insufficient funding for cultural activities;
- the lack of Irish language programmes on electronic media;
- differences between the promotion of other Celtic languages (i.e. Welsh and Scots Gaelic) and mere tolerance of the Irish language;
- the attitude by public bodies, including the security forces, to the use of the language.