CAJ requires a Volunteer Coordinator.
Gain valuable experience working with the CAJ team as our new Volunteer Coordinator. The purpose of this voluntary post is to coordinate and support other volunteers working for CAJ in various capacities. The aim is to help build a new generation of human rights activists and to provide practical help to a small, though highly influential, human rights organisation.
CAJ uses volunteers in a number of roles and in a number of ways. The roles include legal research, event organisation, administration support, drafting the ‘civil liberties diary’ for Just News, and court or event observation. Depending on the nature of the work, volunteers may work on or off-site. Most volunteers would engage for a fairly short term and would not donate more than one day a week. Volunteers are paid reasonable travel and lunch expenses. CAJ may take longer-term volunteers or interns, but generally only when these placements are part of an academic course or are otherwise externally supported.
The duties of this voluntary post would include:
- Encouraging people to volunteer (for example by speaking at university classes);
- Helping the organisation develop and manage projects for volunteers;
- Matching volunteers with tasks;
- Supporting volunteers in fulfilling their tasks;
- Assisting the Office Manager in volunteer induction;
- Applying CAJ volunteer policy and ensuring that volunteers understand and sign relevant undertakings;
- Advising CAJ on volunteer policy and operations.
The person appointed to this volunteer post will have a good knowledge of and commitment to human rights, an understanding of the role of volunteers, and empathetic personal communication skills. They will be prepared to donate approximately two days a month work to the organisation.
Applicants for this post should send a CV and a short declaration of interest, specifying their relevant knowledge and experience, to: Liz McAleer, Office Manager, CAJ, Community House, Citylink Business Park, 6A Albert Street, Belfast, BT12 4HQ.
Or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for the receipt of declarations of interest 30 November 2019.