S450 to the United Nations Committee Against Torture On the List of Issues for the UK
CAJ files this submission on the List of Issues Prior to Reporting (LoIPR) for the Committee against Torture’s 57th Session from 18 April – 13 May 2016. This is to be read in conjunction with the submission from CAJ on the UK’s 5th periodic report under the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment dated April 2013.1 3.
CAJ notes the Concluding Observations on the fifth period report of the United Kingdom, adopted by the Committee at its fiftieth session (6-31 May 2013) and wishes to address in particular a number of areas of particular concern:
- Closed Material Procedures and the growth of the ‘National Security’ doctrine (Articles 2, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
- An apparatus of impunity? – Transitional Justice in Northern Ireland (Articles 2, 12, 13, 14 and 16)
- Prison Reform in Northern Ireland (Article 16)
- The planned repeal of the Human Rights Act 1998 (Article 2)
- Use of Intelligence Sources in conformity with the Convention (Articles 2 and 3)